Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patricks Day at BYU


It's St. Patrick's Day.  How do I know this?  Because my non-mormon friends have been talking about it on facebook for the past week.

This Irish "holiday" is a big deal to a lot of my college friends, but not at BYU.  I'm not going to rant about how people in Ireland don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day, or that it's just an excuse for Americans to get drunk.  No, I'm not going to do this because that would be stating the obvious.  Instead, I'm going to compare the atmosphere of BYU on this holiday to the outside world.

This morning at breakfast I heard a girl at a nearby table say, "Wait, why is everyone wearing green?" She was totally clueless of the fact that it was St. Patty's Day, even though people were decked out in green attire, the food was died green, and it was March.  For the record, green omelets and pancakes are not appetizing.

Saint Patrick's Day just isn't a big deal at BYU because we don't drink.  I'm wearing a green shirt to avoid getting pinched; my religion professor even wore a tie with leprechauns and rainbows, but that's basically the extent of our festivities.   I might eat some lucky charms later, but I won't be doing any drinking unless it includes water and chocolate milk. 

I love BYU.    (no sarcasm intended)

So if you're gonna celebrate St. Patrick's Day a little more diligently than me, have fun and be safe.  I truly hope tomorrow morning doesn't suck for you.

Happy St. Patrick's Day,  and watch out for those leprechauns.


No comments:

Post a Comment