Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Obsession with Exercise/Muscles

Our bodies are amazing.  They really are.  Every time I get sore from exercising I discover new muscles that I never knew existed.  Simple tasks are suddenly painful.  Today I can't really move anything without moaning, but it especially hurts when I try to get off the couch, wash my hands, bend down, and brush my hair.  (That last one was a joke; I never comb my hair).  Those are all killer, but the absolute worst everyday task is climbing the stairs.  I literally have to climb the stairs.  Of course I can walk up them too.  I just have to waddle up them like a duck.  It's really a lose-lose situation.

By now you're probably dying to know why I'm so incredibly sore.  It's all because of Cross Fit, and nothing to do with the fact that I'm a wimp and out of shape.  OK, so I don't really think I'm wimpy, I actually think I'm quite strong.

Just get used to the fact that I'm not normal.

I'm not normal, because crazy things like Cross Fit make me totally excited.

I always liked to be strong.  My family LOVES to tell people about how I used to show everyone what I thought were impressive biceps.  I can remember telling an old man in the supermarket, "Want to see my muscle?"  I had no shame.  I remember doing pushups and situps every night before I went to bed in elementary school.  By middle school I had dumbbells in my room.  By high school I was obsessed.  

The obsession all started with P90X.  I saw a infomercial a few years ago, and I HAD to have it.  I got the DVD's for Christmas.
That's my excited face.

Those first couple of weeks were painful.  No one knew what P90X was yet, so they didn't understand what I was complaining about.  Yeah, I was way ahead of the game.  A year later P90X became really popular and I bragged that I had already finished it.

The truth is, I didn't do the full 90 days.  I did 60.  Then I started to get too muscular.  I think I gain muscle easier than other girls.  Plus, I needed more cardio. 

BEFORE

AFTER

Ignore my face.
See why I stopped at 60 days? I like to be muscular, not manly.

After P90X, I started to train for a triathlon.  I got way in shape and was one week away from the race, but then I hurt my knee.  No triathlon.  I didn't do one last year either.  But I WILL do one this year, August 6th.  I'm telling you this so that it actually happens.

Last year I was watching P90X before and after transformations on youtube to get me excited about it again.  Hey, it works.  That's when I started to see some testimonials about Insanity.

I had to have it.  Guess what I got for my birthday?


Insanity was...insane.  I did it the full 60 days and I saw awesome results.  I don't do Insanity everyday anymore, but I still do it once or twice a week because it's one of the best cardio/strength workouts I can do on my own.

Most girls want to be thin.  I want to be strong.  Well, strong and thin.  I like having muscles.  I already told you, I'm weird. 

Oh, and I don't show strangers my muscles anymore.  Just my friends and family.  Wait...

2 comments:

  1. I did Insanity on Tuesday and my muscles still feel like they got run over by a car. That crap is 10 billion times harder than p90x. And you inspire me Kroda. When we get back from school, it's me-you arm wrestling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been dabbling in Insanity (my family would agree), and it is crazy! (which is a synonym for insanity). I threw up once. But as Alyce posted on FB, "Its not WHAT you say; it's how THIN you look when you're saying it..." Truly, I have been a fantastic parental influence... :)

    ReplyDelete