Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Basketball Fanatics

The main topic at BYU would most likely be basketball, Jimmer, and recently Davies.  I don't like to dwell on the negative, so I'm going to ignore the Davies discussion and try avoid talking about the details of last night's loss.

Proof that I went to the game.

So I don't really want to talk about last night's depressing game, but rather the type of fans I was surrounded by. 

Sporting events are interesting.  People's personality traits can easily augmented, and fans automatically turn somewhat crazy and ridiculous.  I'm not saying this is bad, it's just weird when your watching from an outside view. 

Last night everyone started off pretty excited and pumped including me.  We were ranked #3, and feelin pretty good.  Besides the fact that we lost Davies...but I'm getting off topic.  So in the beginning everyone was basically equal in loudness and obnoxiousness (is that a word?) but it didn't take long for the different fan personalities to show up.

I will list the types of fans in order of least annoying to most annoying.  Of course, these are my opinions, so if you disagree with me, you're wrong.

The Average Fan:  This would include the majority of fans such as myself.  We care about our team and hope for the best.  We cheer a lot when our team does well, get mad at bad calls, but nothing crazy.

The Die Hard Fan: Typically male. Camp out days before the games to get front row seats. Jump and yell a lot.  Lead cheers.  Obnoxious, but not annoying.

The Kind of Die Hard Fan That's Mostly a Follower:  Yells really loud insults to the refs.  Sometimes funny, but mostly weird/annoying.  Won't start cheers, but will be the first to follow.  Looks to the leaders for acknowledgment.  Most likely nonathletic.


The Freaking Annoying Girl Who Pretends to Care About Sports and Yells  a lot:  The title says it all.  Yells insults to the refs that don't make sense.  Complains in yelling form.  Yells profanity (very uncomfortable in BYU student section).  Has high pitched voice that pierces ears.  ANNOYING.

So if you were wondering, yes, I sat near all these people.  It was an interesting game.

1 comment: