Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

All you can eat sushi

Some things sound like a good idea, but really aren't.  For example, all you can eat sushi.  I love sushi.  I can eat a lot of it and still enjoy it.  But no one should eat as much sushi as I did that one time.

I went to this classy restaurant a couple days ago.
I heard that this place used to be a gentleman's club. 
I'm sure you know what sushi means, but the "ya" part means shop.  Hence, sushi shop.  I'm really good at Japanese.  Anyway, I went to eat a bunch of sushi with some of my friends on Saturday.  I had never been there, so I wasn't sure how the system worked.  Basically you eat a ton of sushi so that you get your money's worth.

The first round was awesome.  We got like five or six rolls of sushi plus six pieces of nigiri.  We ate it in less than five minutes.

Then we ordered our second round.  We also demolished that pretty quickly.  And then Tyler and Anne-Marie suggested a third round.  By that time sushi didn't sound very appetizing to me.  That sticky rice was starting to expand in my stomach, and I knew if I ate any more it wouldn't be pretty.

The third round was just gross.  It's crazy how amazing sushi can taste, and then how absolutely horrible it is once you've eaten 4+ rolls.  It took us a long time to get through that last plate of sushi.  It might be called unlimited sushi, but you're required to eat all that you ordered.  There was no way we were going to eat all of that, so we had to come up with ways to get rid of it.

This is when we had to resort to our childhood skills.  Anne-Marie stuffed some sushi in her napkin and smuggled it into the bathroom where I assume she flushed it or threw it away.  Tyler picked at the sushi and spread the remains across the platter and hid it under our plates.  The whole thing was pretty ridiculous, and all we could do was try not to laugh to avoid puking everywhere.
Trying to finish the third round.  Obviously we were having a good time.
I've overeaten at countless Asian buffets, but not solely on sushi.  If you haven't experienced overindulging on sushi, I wouldn't recommend it.  We ate there for lunch, and I didn't eat anything for the rest of the day.   I repeat, I didn't eat for the rest of the day.  I never lose my appetite.  Like ever, so that's saying a lot.

And this was my experience at Sushi Ya.  You should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment