Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

College Cooking with Kristen

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, which means food is on my mind.  Ok so food is always on my mind, but you get the idea.

Cooking in college can be rough.  Most of us are cooking noobs, and don't have the time nor the money to make anything very fancy.  Because of this, I thought I would be a saint and share my favorite meals with you.  They are fast, easy, and cheap.  You can thank me later. 

Canned Soup
Ingredients:  Canned soup.
Instructions:  Dump soup in bowl.  Microwave.



Boiled Potatoes
Ingredients: Potato, salt
Instructions:  Boil water, add salt.  Cut potato, cook in boiling water up to 15 minutes.


Toast
Ingredients: Bread
Instructions: Place bread in toaster, and heat.  Add butter, jam, honey, peanut butter, cinnamon sugar, etc.
I may have had two pieces of toast while I wrote this blog...


Tuna Fish and Rice
Ingredients:  Rice, canned tuna, soy sauce, sweet relish, garlic powder
Instructions:  Cook rice, and boil water.  Place rice in bowl and add said ingredients and add hot water.


Egg and Rice
Ingredients:  Egg, rice, soy sauce
Instructions:  Crack egg over freshly cooked rice, add soy sauce.  Stir.
Before you get all Caucasian on me, the rice is hot and cooks the egg.  Sheesh, calm down.
Chili and Rice
Ingredients: Hormel chili, rice
Instructions: Cook rice, stir in canned chili
This picture doesn't do it justice.

Squash
Ingredients: Acorn Squash
Instructions:  Preheat oven at 375.  Cut squash in half and place in one inch of water rind up.  Bake for 45 minutes.
Proof that college students can be healthy AND cheap AND lazy.


Spam and Eggs
Ingredients: Spam and eggs.
Instructions:  Fry spam, scramble eggs.
This was dinner today.


Spam and Rice
Ingredients:  Spam and rice
Instructions:  Cook rice, fry spam.
 

Grilled Cheese
Ingredients: Bread and cheese.  Meat, egg, mustard, and spinach optional.
Instructions:  Grill the sandwich.
If you want your sandwich to seem fancier, just GRILL it.
Grilled PB&J
Ingredients: Bread, peanut butter and jelly/jam
Instructions:  Grill it dumby.
Seriously.  You can grill ANY type of sandwich.


See how witty I was with that?  None of those meals were real recipes and they didn't require more than three ingredients...Ok, so it's not that funny.

But the truth is, I haven't made a real meal yet.  All that stuff above is what I really eat, and that's the fanciest it gets. I refuse to buy ramen, and I'm not living off of cereal, but I'm not eating anything that my mom would make for dinner either.  You may think I eat like this because I'm a poor starving college student, but that's not exactly the case. 

Like this Uber Frosh, I may blame my crappy meals on being poor, but I'm pretty lucky because my parents give me grocery money.  The real, less cool reason I don't cook anything is I'm just too dang LAZY.  I hate cooking, and I get home from work at 7:30 every night.  The last thing I want to do is cook and wait another hour till I can eat. 

And that's why most of my meals consist of rice, eggs, or meat from a can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment